access legal services professional legal services gta greater toronto area professional legal services

Motor vehicle accidents (MVAs) are some of the most costly, traumatic, and frequent events for Ontarians. After being involved in a MVA, there are important legal rights and obligations that one must be aware of. If this is your first MVA, it is important that you contact us to assist you with the legal process. We provide all these services on a contingency basis, meaning you will only pay when you get paid. The following information is for general use only and should not be construed as comprehensive, complete, or as a substitute for legal advice. Please contact a legal professional for a consultation.

What should you do immediately after a motor vehicle accident?
If you are directly or indirectly involved in an accident that causes property damage, bodily injury, or death, you are legally obligated to do the following:

Stay at the scene of the motor vehicle accident.

You must remain at, or immediately return to the scene of the accident. It is illegal to leave the scene of the accident, whether you were directly or indirectly involved. You can obtain more information about the offence of failing to remain at the scene of an accident in the Highway Traffic Act.

Care for anyone injured and call the police.

You must care for any injured persons and call an ambulance. You should not touch the injured personal unless you have medical training or unless the victim’s needs are clear. For example, if a car is burning, you can pull the victim out of the car. You are also legally obligated to call the police when someone is injured or there is property damage.

Giving a statement and keeping expenses.

What else should I do after a motor vehicle accident? Write down the other driver’s name, address, phone number, license plate, vehicle permit number, insurance information, and the names and phone numbers of witnesses to the accident. Upon request, you must also provide, in writing, the same information.

Seek legal advice before you give a detailed statement to an insurance company or third party. You should not offer to pay anything, and you should not accept any payments from any party, or sign any documents related to the accident without seeking legal advice. You should also keep a record of any medical, mechanical, and miscellaneous expenses relating to the accident.

Please contact us for more information.

access legal services legal consultation request




access legal services professional legal services gta greater toronto area professional legal services


1110 Finch Ave. West Suite 614
Toronto, Ontario
M3J 2T2
Phone : (416) 733-8880
Fax : (416) 946-1112