access legal services professional legal services gta greater toronto area professional legal services

Long Term Disability (LTD)

If you become unable to work for a substantial amount of time due to illness or injury while you are insured this benefit provides you with a monthly income replacement. At Access Legal Services we specialize in cases where individuals have been denied these LTD benefits. We make efforts to assist you even if you’ve been previously denied.

When should you apply for LTD?

You should apply for LTD benefits when your condition prevents you from going to work. You need to submit an application for LTD benefits no later than eight weeks before the end of the qualifying period. (Time period you must be off work due to a disabling condition before benefit payments will begin.)

Workplace Safety and Insurance Board

If you have been injured at work, you can make a claim for Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) benefits. If you lose time from work as a result of a workplace injury, the WSIB will cover 85% of your take-home pay, along with health care benefits for prescriptions, medications and travel costs for doctor and surgical appointments.

If you have been injured at work and want to file a claim, you must immediately notify your employer and seek medical attention as soon as possible. You must then fill out a Form 6: Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease as soon as possible. This form must be completed within six months of the date your injury occurred in order to claim for benefits.

If you have been denied WSIB benefits, there are three levels in which to appeal for your rights: the first stage is at the WSIB; the second is the WSIB Appeals Branch and the third is the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal (WSIAT). We can assist you at all three levels.

Human Rights Complaints

If you have been discriminated against on any of the following protected grounds:
And if that discrimination took place in any of the following areas:
There is a deadline in order to file a Human Rights claim. The application must be filed within one year of the most recent offence or discriminatory act having taken place.
Independent Mediation We can offer a service in order to help mediate disputes at a non-unionized workplace between employers and employees.
NOTE: The following information is general information only and should not be construed as comprehensive, complete, or as a substitute for legal advice. Please contact a legal professional for a consultation so you are aware of your complete rights and obligations.
Please contact us for more information.

access legal services legal consultation request




access legal services professional legal services gta greater toronto area professional legal services


1110 Finch Ave. West Suite 614
Toronto, Ontario
M3J 2T2
Phone : (416) 733-8880
Fax : (416) 946-1112